Monday, August 24, 2009

Yamnuska -- November 1, 2008

I'll always be drawn to Yamnuska. It was the first true mountain I hiked, and nothing will ever match the first time I was able to touch that distinctive rockface. It greets me every time I drive down Highway 1 into the Rockies, and it stands as the instantly recognizable gateway to miles of jagged peaks.

When I went to summer camp as a pre-teen, Yamnuska loomed over our teepee and was the source of many stories told to young ears. Yamnuska was the namesake of the related winter camp.

Yamnuska looks out over the prairies as much as it looks out over the Rockies:



From this angle, everyone sees the heart-shaped pond:



Yamnuska's rock face, always present, always the goal on the trail.



Away from the highway -- unspoiled by roads, trails or any signs of humans:



On this journey we went beyond the usual end of the trail at the rock face and found the path leading to the top of the rock face. It was too late in the day to continue to ascend, but now that we know where it is -- tucked among the boulders, we'll be back:



It's been a part of my life since I've been aware of the Rockies. I'm looking forward to finding another side of Yamnuska.

No comments: