Sunday, February 1, 2009

Winter Vacations and Local blogs

I've been off on a winter adventure the past week -- hubby and I, plus Nat and her hubby all traveled to Kimberley, BC for snowshoeing, skiing and general German food goodness. It was a nice chance to spend some time elsewhere, enjoy the outdoors, and see some of the beautiful countryside of the East Kootenays of British Columbia. I'm very partial to the Crowsnest Pass area, but this time we drove highway 93 through Radium, Invermere and Skookumchuck (*love* that name), and it was absolutely beautiful! We'll be back soon, in fact, I'm already looking up the summer hikes in the area!

In the meantime, I thought I'd mention a couple of excellent area blogs I've been reading, both covering the Alberta Rockies. HikeAlberta covers trails largely in the Banff, and, being far more technically advanced than I, includes GPS maps. Kananaskis Trails Blog is relatively new to me, but has been an invaluable resource for trail information and news.

The hiking posts will continue (still recapping from summer!), but now that I've discovered snowshoeing, I just have one more thing to keep me outdoors on the weekends....

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Oh my God! I just went to the link below for the Huashan Hiking Trail in China. That sent pure shots of cold fear through me just from looking at the pictures. And then they had to get back down again or was there the chance of parachuting off? I hope so.