Saturday, April 14, 2007

Diamond T Redux

Diamond T - See Diamond T for Trail Particulars

If it seems like we're repeating ourselves... well, we kinda are. Highway 66 is closed at Elbow Falls until May 15. I suppose we could park and hike in -- and it just might come to that -- but for now we'll stick to the ever changing conditions of these two hikes.

Can't wait to try something new.

I honestly thought it was going to be warmer today. I'd heard 13 C. I dunno, it didn't feel that way. It was really brown on the drive in, but once you hit the trail, it looked a lot more like this footbridge. It looks frozen, but the snow was really all just thick slush. Not exactly the easiest to walk through, but N. and I slogged through it.

When we do the same hike 2 or 3 weeks in a row, I tend to see the same things over and over, but N. catches stuff. This time it was these trees (I think I was fixated on Cardio Hill off in the distance). All the trees in this area leaned toward the path. These trees are leaning eastward... I thought it was the wind, but behind us there are trees leaning southward. I'm not sure what causes this. I'd like to think we would have noticed it before...

Cardio Hill weas brutal. It was that slush. It was so thick I could barely get my footing. What a challenge.

N. was feeling under the weather, so we turned around and went back the way we came. It was nice to get another view. I'd never noticed before how brown the north facing side of this hike was. I took a shot purely to compare with the summer. I think this was the only part of the hike not covered in snow. This shot is taken from the spot in the trail where the trail veers eastward after traveling west for some time.

Hopefully D. and I will hike a little tomorrow....

No comments: